Does that title make sense or are you not sure what I am trying to explain today?
What I am showing you today is how you can move several items on your page together which is great news if you have just spaced them all evenly or you just want to keep them together as they are now, but just not in that place!
I have designed some photo books where I had quite a few things on a page, a combination of photos and text boxes and then I decided that some of them had to move slightly, sometimes only a few mm (I am picky like that :-)) but they had to move.
Now the easiest thing you think might be just to click on each item individually and then drag it to the location where you want, or you can even use the tab with the ruler in the Inspector where you can set exact distances using the x and y coordinates to relocate your photo or text box.
But what if you had 4 or 5 grouped together that you want to move in one go?
One way would be to use the Shift key on your keyboard. That way you can easily select multiple items and then move them together. You can read more about aligning multiple items in a previous post if you want.
Using the Shift key to select multiple items:
- Select the first photo or text box.
- Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard.
- Now select the next photo or text box you want to include (keep holding the Shift key down!).
- Keep selecting photo or text boxes with the Shift key held down until you have selected all the photo and text boxes you wanted.
- This is important: let go of the Shift key on your keyboard and then click inside one of the photo or text boxes that is selected (you know which ones are selected because they all have the blue round handles in the corners – see below for an example).
- Now you can move the photo and text boxes together.
If you are having trouble selecting them all and then moving them all together or you simply want a few photos and text boxes to always stay together (maybe because you are moving them around a lot at the moment) then you have another option.
It is called grouping and you can include as many photo and text boxes as you need.
How to group photo and text boxes:
You will have to start the same way as described above as we will need to first select all the items we want to group together.
- Lets start again with selecting the first photo or text box.
- Then hold the Shift key down on your keyboard.
- Continue to hold the Shift key down and select the other photo and text boxes you want to include in the group.
- Again, let go of the Shift key and right-click INSIDE one of your selected photo or text boxes.
- A menu will open:
- You can see the option ‘Group’ – select it.
- You have now created a group of the photo and text boxes you had selected. This group of items can now easily be moved around or you can even copy and paste (or cut and paste – very handy for moving several photo and text boxes from one page to another page if you are happy with the lay-out but just need to move the lot to another page) the whole group in one go.
A group looks like this:
It is maybe not easy to see, but when you select a group, instead of the blue round handles you normally see, you now see black lines on all of the photo and text boxes. I have grouped them together in another way as well which hopefully shows it a bit better:
But what if you want to move one of the photo or text boxes out of the group, or you want to change the group lay-out? Not to worry! You can at any time ‘Ungroup’ a group.
How to ‘Ungroup’ a group:
- Select the group and right-click on it.
- A menu appears again and instead of having the option ‘Group’, it now has the option ‘Ungroup’.
- Select it and your group is no longer a group. They are still all selected, so if you just want to work with one photo or text box you will have to click outside those selected photo or text boxes. Clicking anywhere will unselect them all and you can then select the one you want to work with.
I don’t use the grouping option very often, but when I have needed it is has always made my life so much easier! I hope it makes your life easier too when you need it!